REDONDO BEACH, California - 4th Annual Beyond the Shore Paddlefest presented by Kinecta Federal Credit Union will be lead this year by pro SUP athletes Danny Ching, Candice Appleby and Slater Trout to raise awareness and funds for charity partners: Surfrider Foundation South Bay, Marine Mammal Care Center at Fort MacArthur and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.
“This is such an exciting year to have the three athletes step up and lead us in the team format this year to help raise more awareness on the important work of our charity partners. We couldn’t be more thrilled to have them on board!” stated Race Director, Anthony Vela.
Participants will choose what team they want to be on with either hometown heroes, Danny Ching and Slater Trout or women leader, Candice Appleby at registration with the opportunity to make a donation to their favorite charity. Participants will receive a team t-shirt, 30 minute race clinic led by the three athletes and a chance to be on their team for racing. Plus, all participants will help break the record for the World’s Largest SUP Yoga Class on Water!
Beyond the Shore Paddlefest combines two leading sports: Stand Up Paddling (SUP) & Yoga with a huge all-day festival to be held on Sunday September 18th at Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach King Harbor from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm.
Beyond the Shore Paddlefest Includes:
- SUP Races: Elite, open, junior, distance and sprint races 4.5 miles & 2 miles, with $1500 in purse prizes
- World’s Largest SUP Yoga Class on Water: On King Harbor & Seaside Lagoon. Led by event founder, Michelle Gierst and a team of world-class yoga instructors, the 30-minute basic SUP Yoga class designed for all ages and levels to participate in.
- Whole Foods Pavilion: Complimentary breakfast by Whole Foods, Kashi lunch by Gardein and healthy, yummy açaí treats by Sambazon and other healthy, plant-based only food! (No animal products served.)
- prAna Yoga Zone: Yoga classes from prAna Yoga Instructors. Aerial by Art of Flying Yoga. Slackline demos by Yogaslackers.
- SUP Kids Zone: Interactive area for kids that includes SUP Kids eco-education, water safety and SUP kids races on the Lagoon, ages 10 and under. Every kid goes home with a metal!
- Sustainable Surf Recycling Zone: Participants asked to bring old Stryrofoam and old wetsuits to be recycled by Sustainable Surf into surfboard blanks and yoga mats by SUGA.
- Zero Waste Event: Beyond the Shore Paddlefest is the most sustainable, eco-friendly event. We generate little to no waste and only serve only plant-based healthy options (no animal products).
“Beyond the Shore Paddlefest is a world-class event that combines SUP Races and SUP Yoga communities together to truly provide a festival for everyone,” says Jeremy Godo Kiss, Olympus SUP owner and co-creator of the event. “Michelle Gierst and I started BeyondtheShore.org with the hopes of making ocean conservation a part of every day living here in the South Bay. It is the support from our family and friends that has helped us host this event!”
BeyondtheShore.org is a 501(c) (3) non-profit group with a mission to bring ocean awareness to our local community. Paddlefest was created to educate people on protection and preservation of our ocean, beaches, waves and our animal friends who inhabit the sea. 100% of the proceeds go to Charity Partners:
- Surfrider Foundation South Bay Chapter
- Sea Sheperd Conservation Society
- Marine Mammal Care Center at Fort MacArthur
Beyond the Shore is an event with both SUP racing and SUP yoga!
About Olympus Board Shop & Olympus SUP Fit
Started in 1998 by South Bay native Jeremy Godo Kiss, Olympus offers the widest selection of SUP boards, iSUP’s, and snowboards in Los Angeles. Olympus launched its first on-water location in 2013 at the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach offering SUP lessons, eco tours, and SUP Yoga classes in the calm sheltered waters of Redondo Harbor. Visit Olympus Shop and Olympus SUP Fit.
About Kinecta Federal Credit Union
Kinecta Federal Credit Union is one of the nation's largest credit unions, with approximately $3.18 billion in assets and more than 238,000 members nationwide. Headquartered in Manhattan Beach, Calif., Kinecta offers its members a full range of financial products through the Credit Union and its subsidiaries, Kinecta Financial & Insurance Services, Apollo Insurance Services, and Kinecta Alternative Financial Solutions, dba Nix Financial. Kinecta Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit, financial cooperative that is solely owned by its members. Visit HERE.
Clothing for people who live life fully, play long, and travel well. We create versatile, stylish, and sustainable clothing and accessories that you can wear during every activity, every adventure, every day. How do we know? Because we base our designs on our own experiences. You see we’re more than makers, we’re doers—yogis, climbers, and world travelers—and we use our knowledge to make clothes that look good and play hard. We like to focus on the details, and aren’t afraid to go bold when it comes to colors and whimsical patterns. We love to combine classic style with modern materials, ever mindful of where and how our creations are made. Learn more HERE.
Sambazon is a tribe of conscious individuals looking to make the world a better place. We create nutritious and delicious organic açaí products, harvested responsibly, and stewarded sustainably so that we can uphold our promise to the Brazilian Amazon, to the planet, and to you.
- 5 of Our Favorite Paddling Spots in Southern California
- How To Punch Through A River Wave On A SUP
- Choosing Healthy, Delicious Snacks For Stand-Up Paddleboarding
- Annapolis Native to Travel 240 Miles Across Chesapeake Bay by SUP to Support Oyster Recovery Efforts
- Cape Cod Bay Challenge SUP Event Returns Virtually in 2020