SAN DIEGO, California - In just a few days voting will close on the 9th annual Supconnect Awards. With thousands of votes already submitted for athletes, brands, gear, shops and sales reps the input from the SUP consumer and industry has been great.
While votes received are only a part of the equation on selecting the ultimate winners of the awards it’s a really important one. Getting the feedback from the public on who they would like to see win the awards is a key component that the Supconnect Editorial Board takes very seriously into consideration.
The selection process for the Supconnect Awards is a detailed one that involves the Supconnect Staff, an advisory board, brands, shops, other industry members, and the public. The winners of the Supconnect Awards are more than just exceptional athletes, brands and shops, they are standards of excellence inspiring the youth and raising the bar for those in the industry.
The athletes chosen for the Supconnect Awards all go through the same criteria which is based on four qualities:
- Ambassadorship: Conveying the cheerfulness and inclusiveness characteristic of the sport.
- Involvement: Attending events and gatherings, having a finger on the pulse of the sport.
- Performance: Showing proficiency in the sport, though top results are not a requirement.
- Support: Having a following and votes to show you have some support to validate your credibility.
The criteria for athlete brands and shops is:
- Involvement: Supporting the local SUP community by having demos, putting on events and educating consumers.
- Support: Great customer service whether it be through sales, warranty or knowledge of the products.
- Quality: Quality of the products are superb.
If you haven’t cast your vote in the 2018 Supconnect Awards there’s still time! You have 3 days left to get in your votes and show your support for the nominees. The last day to vote is July 31.
About the Supconnect Awards
The Supconnect Awards started in 2010 as a way of recognizing individuals that made exceptional contributions to the sport. As such, it’s the world’s first and original awards in the stand up paddle industry. Unlike most awards, winners are not chosen strictly on athletic performance and results. The ultimate objective of the Supconnect Awards is to help to create positive icons for the youth in order to increase the longevity of the sport for generations to come. And what’s more, it also aims at recognizing exceptional brands, products, and shops that help raise the bar in their field, serving as blueprints of excellence for others to follow. In that light, do not expect the usual run-of-the-mill winners. Nominees and winners, at least we hope, capture the all-inclusive culture of the sport, with friendly smiles and awe-inspiring stories and, yes, performances.