ERICEIRA, Portugal - After a break from US competition over the past month or two, things are ramping back up in a big way this weekend, as the penultimate stop of the APP's 2019 US Cup powered by the WPA gets underway in the Columbia River Gorge, Oregon.
The SIC Gorge Paddle Challenge has long been a favorite amongst the World's elite paddlers given the ideal downwind conditions that the venue provides, coupled with the phenomenal job that the organizers have done in creating a strongly rooted, community focused event. Watch out for many of the World's best this weekend, who have descended upon Columbia River Gorge for a weekend filled with downwind paddling and fun, as they battle it out for the event win and vital points towards their overall US Cup Standings.
Stay tuned for a live broadcast by @totalsupofficial that will be shown on the APP Facebook page with live commentary from Mathieu Astier as well as insights into the race and much more coming next week at www.appworldtour.com and across social @appworldtour.
Photo courtesy: APP World Tour
Following on from the SIC Gorge Paddle Challenge will be what is the most comprehensive single event in the sport of stand up paddling, and the 2nd stop on the 2019 APP World Championship Tour for both surfing and racing: the New York SUP Open. The New York SUP Open will kick off with a high profile red carpet opening event on Friday August 30th at Minnesota's in Long Beach. The action will then all get underway on Saturday the 31st and run through as follows:
- Opening Weekend (31st August - 2nd September): Open Trials & the start of the Main Event of the APP World Surfing Tour. Also featuring an all new SUP Longboard Exhibition event celebrating both tradition and progression in Long Beach, New York.
- 31st August - 4th September: the culmination of the APP World Championship Tour Surfing stop in Long Beach, as the World's best battle it out at stop #2 of the 2019 season.
- Opening Weekend (31st August - 1st September) - Long Beach, NY: Surf for all distance race for pro-am, amateur and juniors on Saturday followed by surf sprint racing for pro-am and juniors on Sunday.
- Thursday 5th September: APP World Tour surf sprint racing in Long Beach, NY featuring the World's very best battling it out at Stop #2 of the 2019 season of the APP World Tour.
- Saturday 7th September: APP World Tour distance race around the Statue of Liberty in the heart of Big Apple will wrap an incredible week in New York with one of the most iconic races in the world.
- Location: This year's festival activation will be focused out at Long Beach over Labor Day weekend, when this seaside community will be turned into a hub for the sport of stand up paddling, with participation at every level and entertainment with the World's very best in town for the week.
- APP Pool: As with all City Paddle Festival events, there will be a full schedule of activities in the APP Pool, from SUP Yoga to youth clinics and Pro exhibitions - stay tuned for schedule info for the pool and early bird sign ups to be released early next week.
- Socializing: With the World's very best SUP athletes from across surfing and racing in attendance throughout the New York SUP Open, there will be plenty of opportunities to mingle with the champions both on and off the water, with social activities throughout the week, from movie premieres, to the awards events and of course the opening night at Minnesota's. Stay tuned for final social schedule to be released next week at www.appworldtour.com and across social media @appworldtour
- Charity - Surf For All: Do your bit to support the worthy non profit, Surf For All in their mission to make surfing accessible to all, regardless of challenges faced. The Open Distance Race is in aid of this worthy organization championed by SkudinSurf and the Long Beach Community as a whole. Get involved and play a part at the 2019 New York SUP Open
For Registration for amateur, pro-am and pro competition, confirm your spot at www.newyorksupopen.com and for the latest updates on the event, heat draws for surf and sprint racing, and on the Tour as a whole, stay in the loop @appworldtour
Photo courtesy: APP World Tour
About the APP World Tour and Waterman League International
The APP World Tour is the Professional World Championship Tour for the Sport of Paddlesurfing (also known as SUP / Stand Up Paddling / Paddleboarding), officially sanctioned by the IOC recognized Federation for Surfing Sports, the ISA (International Surfing Association). Re-branded in 2017 as the APP World Tour (previously known as the Stand Up World Tour and Series) the APP has been crowning the sport’s World Champions for both Men & Women across Racing and Surfing since 2010.