SAN DIEGO, California - Hanohano Outrigger Canoe Club and Huki Outrigger/Surfski present the 20th Annual Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge to be held in Mission Bay, San Diego, California on January 23rd, 2016. The Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge, a WPA sanctioned points race and flagship event for the SoCal Winter Racing Series, is one of the Longest Running Paddlesport Races in California offering access to all paddle crafts including OC-1 & 2, Surfski, Traditional Paddleboard, Standup Paddleboard and Kayak. The Hanohano Ocean Challenge attracts top level professional athletes and beginners from ages 7-80.
The Hanohano Ocean Challenge kicks off the 2016 WPA race season and will also offer double points to all competitors that are accumulated by region for WPA rankings. All points earned in the short course also will be included towards the WPA National Race series and the points earned in SUP 14’ Men and SUP 12’6 Women will count towards the 2015 Salt Life Cup (points earned from the WPA National races in 2016) and bonus money to the season’s top point earners.
You are encouraged to visit the race Web site for more details: Click here to register!
Important Notes on the event:
- ***Pre-Registration is highly suggested. (T-shirts guaranteed for Pre-registered participants only)
- $25 for preregistration – race fees go up to $30 for day of registration!!!!
- Preregistration will help eliminate delays on race morning as well as cut down on paddler error while registering with our new online format. PLEASE VISIT PADDLE GURU AND PREREGISTER FOR THIS EVENT.
- ***Food…Breakfast snack items and coffee will be available for free in the morning. Lunch will be an additional fee with menu items beginning at $5.00. Please bring cash. The new lunch format allows us to account for the increased number of mouths to feed while keeping your race fee at $25.00…Bring a water bottle, we will have Gatorade and water to fill them up. We will also have complimentary Essentia and Sambazon on site.
- ***Raffle: Hanohano OCC still boasts the best Raffle west of the Mississippi…bring some dough and have a chance at a Brand New Huki OC-1 and a ton of other great product from our sponsors and vendors.
- ***PFD’s are required on all paddlecraft with the exception of Prone paddleboard. Leashes are suggested for use on the long course for OC-1’s and Surfski’s
- ***No Dogs, Alcohol or Glass are allowed in Mission Bay Park…Rangers will issue hefty fines.
Special thanks to supporting Partners: Huki Outrigger/Surfski, Essentia Water, Lightspeed Outdoors, CarboPro, Dirty Birds, Quickblade Paddles, Cova
To learn more about the Hanohano and see news from past years, Click HERE.
About the Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge:
Celebrate our 20th Anniversary with us! The Hanohano Ocean Challenge has been hosted by Hanohano Outrigger Canoe Club since 1996 after taking over the San Diego Excel Surfski Race hosted by Club Founder Egon Horcajo which began in the late 1980’s. The Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge has grown to be one of the Premiere Races in California and one of the biggest and longest running in the nation. The Hanohano OCC is a 501c3 non-profit Organization was formed in order to unite men and women who share an interest in perpetuating and participating in Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Racing at its’ highest competitive level. The Club encourages and promotes good will and sportsmanship among members. Hanohano Outrigger Canoe Club Web Site.