written by Lauren Peterson
SUP Yoga expert Lauren Peterson of Namaste SUP teaches us the 'Purvottanasana' or 'Upward Plank Pose'. Follow along below and give it a try this weekend on your stand up paddleboard.
Stephanie Athanas shows us the final step in the Upward Plank Pose on her stand up paddleboard.
Name of Pose: Purvottanasana / Upward Plank Pose
Difficulty Level: Easy
Body Points: Stretches the shoulders, chest, and front of the ankles
Benefits: A great way to energize the body and reduce or eradicate fatigue
- Bend your knees and place your feet on the board.
- On an inhale press your feet and hands into the board and lift your hips, coming into a reverse table top position.
- Make sure if you have the habit of hyper extending your arms that the eyes of the elbows face out.
- Keep the hips at the same height then on the exhale, slowly straighten one leg at a time.
- Remember to breathe slowly in and out through the nostrils while holding this posture.
- To come out of the posture, slowly lower yourself back down into the Dandasana / staff pose on the exhale.
This pose strengthens the arms, legs, and wrists and stretches the shoulders, chest, and front of the ankles. It is also a great way to energize the body and get rid of fatigue.
About Lauren Peterson
Lauren has an associate’s degree in Dance Technology, a bachelor’s degree in Dance and a master’s degree in Physical Education. She is a certified Purna Yoga Instructor from Byron Yoga Centre, Australia.
After falling in love with stand up paddling in 2008, Lauren created Namaste SUP, a sup yoga community for the student, teacher and anyone who loves stand up paddling and yoga. When talking about her involvement within the SUP and Yoga communities, Lauren says, “I love to inspire and motivate individuals to live long and healthy lives through yoga, dance, physical education and stand up paddling.”
For more information on Lauren and Namaste SUP, check out the Namaste SUP Facebook page. Lauren also just launched a new website so go check that out as well at www.namastesup.com.