SAN ONOFRE, California - In April, at the Huntington Beach US SUP Tour event, competitors were stoked to compete in the inaugural US SUP event which was professionally managed and featured great prizes, trophies and an aggressive cash purse.·
Colin McPhillips who won the men's pro SUP surfing event said "The event was awesome,"McPhillips went on to say; "To have a professional tour in the U.S. is great. We now have a venue to show what we do; I think it's going to really take off." “Couldn’t think of anyone better to be putting this on and the first event went perfectly.”
Emmy Merrill- who won the women’s pro SUP surfing event & is the reigning 2012 women’s world SUP surfing champion said: “It was a first time for the competition but it was so successful that I think it got things off the ground nicely. I am very excited for the remaining contests and next season as well. It was a really fun and well run event. I hope it prompts more women to compete.” said -
New US SUP Tour sponsor ZICO Coconut Water is excited to participate:
“We are looking forward to hydrating the World Class athletes competing in the US SUP Tour event in San Onofre, CA. There's no better combination than sun, surf, and ZICO Pure Premium Coconut Water, and our team will be on the sand providing all the athletes and spectators with the natural Oomph from coconuts (aka ZICO!) they need to beat the heat and perform at their best.” - Megan Robles, ZICO Regional Marketing Manager
- Church Beach, in San Onofre State Park, California - June 15th – 16th 2013
- Parking will be on Old PCH, accessed at the Basilone Road off-ramp from the 5 Freeway.
- Look for signage at the first gate on the right.
- The State of CA will charge a $20 daily parking fee.
- You may walk to the beach from the parking lot, but the event will provide shuttles for competitors and a truck to transport boards to the Church’s site for both the Surf and Race days.You may park at San Onofre State Beach, but beware that the beach may be closed for Marine Corps maneuvers and paddling across may not be allowed either. The best option is to park in the established event parking area.
Events are SUP Surf and SUP Races:
SUP Surf Pro (Men and Women), SUP Surf Open (Men and Women), Elite Technical Race (Men and Women), Open Age Group Race (Men and Women) (WPA age groups)
Technical Racing -·These races will be approximately 5-6 km long sprint races, closer to the surf with multiple transitions through the waves. These races are intended to be world class level and to test the skills of the best racers.
Open Racing - This race will be approximately 4-5 km race, set on a triangular course, starting and running outside the surf line, with the finish being a single paddle through the surf to the beach finish line. The course will be monitored for surf conditions and event organizers will assist entrants in paddling out through the surf line.
Surf Competition - Each of these SUP Surf events will be staffed by ASP level judges, computer scored and run like clock-work. The Pro division will feature world class competition and the Open division will give the weekend warriors a chance to SUP Surf in a professional event format.
- Saturday, June 15 - Open and Elite Technical Races run completely at race location, north of Church surf break.
- Final registration at 7am and race events will start at 9am.
- Technical SUP Race entry fee for Men and Women is $150.00
- Open SUP Race entry fee for Men and Women is $50.00
Race Board Classes:
- Technical Race: Men - 14′ race boards, Women – 12’6” race boards,·Open Race: 14′ & 12’6″ race boards and surfboards
- Sunday, June 16 - SUP Surf Pro and SUP Surf Open events run completely through Finals on same day at the Church surf break.
- Double areas of competition will be used for the early rounds of heats.
- SUP Surf Pro entry fee for Men and Women is $150.00SUP Surf
- Open entry fee for Men and Women is $75.00
- Entry’s will close on Saturday June 15th at 5pm at the Surfing Cowboy, 34235 Doheny·Park Rd, Capistrano Beach, CA 92624 (949) 272-5957 - This will be a party for the Racers following their day of competition and also the only check-in for Sunday's SUP Surfing.
US SUP Tour Prize-money ($10,000)
Men SUP Surfing ($3,750)
Women SUP Surfing ($900):
Men SUP race ($3,950):
Women SUP race ($900):
Overall Event Champions (Surfing & Race):
Click Here for Online Registration: http://www.paddleguru.com/races/USSupTourStop3
Sanction: Each event is sanctioned by Surfing America and World Paddle Association