Jeremy Riggs with SIC Glide Camp
WAUNAKEE, Wisconsin - Join the first SIC Glide Camp with Jeremy Riggs, an expert SUP racer and paddler from Maui, Hawaii. With the skills learned in this comprehensive full day clinic participants will have a solid foundation to enjoy standup paddling in a variety of conditions.
The Level One Clinic will cover the following topics:
Physical preparation for your paddling:
-Stretching, Conditioning and Post-recovery.
Mental preparation for your paddling:
-Proper instruction on how to determine if the conditions are right and safe.
-Tips on how to relax in tough conditions.
Choosing the right equipment to get the experience you are looking for:
Paddle Technique (will help beginning through advanced paddlers):
- Paddling with a side wind.
- Paddling upwind.
- Paddling straight without changing sides.
- How to use your paddle as a brace.
Fine tuning you’re positioning on the board as conditions change:
- Where to stand on the board depending on the conditions you’re in.
- Foot/weight placement during the stroke.
- How to find the sweet spot on your board to make pivot turns easier.
- How to get your feet in the right position to make pivot turns.
- Re-mounting the board.
- Freeing your leash from your fin without getting off the board.
How to handle your board in the wind:
- Different approaches to carrying your board and paddle.
- A novel approach to stacking and loading/unloading 2 boards.
- Catching bumps
- Connecting bumps
- Surf stance, staggered stance, parallel stance
- Footwork basics and footwork drills
- How to synchronize your paddle stroke with your footwork
- Fixed fin or active steering system?
- Cell phone - Water - Buddy system - Wildlife - First aid - Rescue - Sun protection
Jeremy came in first place overall in the 14 foot rudderless class at the 6th Annual Naish Paddle Championships Maui July 18th, 2012. He has won the Naish rudderless division each of the last 5 years!! Just prior to the Naish race, he placed in the top ten elite class of the Mormaii Maui to Molokai Race. Along with relay partner Mark Raaphorst, they took first place in the April 24th, 2010 Maui to Molokai.
-1st in the 2012 Molokai to Oahu 2 man relay stock division with teammate Travis Baptiste (15years old) ·with a record time of 4:22:26.
-2nd in the 2011 Molokai to Oahu 2 man relay stock division with teammate Travis Baptist.
-5th in the 2011 Maui Jim Triple Crown of SUP Maui to Molokai race.
-2nd in the 2012 Paddle Imua 10 mile Maliko race.
-1st overall in the 2011 Molokai Holokai for the second year in a row.
Clinic Specifics and Registration:
Join us for our comprehensive full day clinic with Jeremy Riggs, expert SUP racer and paddler from Maui, Hawaii. We will get underway at 9am sharp at the Paddleboard Specialists shop and take a break mid - day for a healthy lunch at the shop as well as snacks and beverages on the water during the clinic. Clinic will run until 5pm.
WHEN: May 18, 2013 9:00am - 5:00pm
WHERE: Paddleboard Specialists 5495 Catfish Court, Waunakee, WI 53597
CONTACT: Gary Stone, [email protected] , PHONE 877.473.1199