LONDON, Enlgand - The London SUP Open is the UK's largest SUP Festival that celebrates not only the sport of stand up paddling, but also the unique and alluring beach lifestyle right at the heart of one of the world's most iconic cities. Health and wellness is a core focus of the 2018 London SUP Open, with yoga and pilates sessions to top and tail the day, together with participation opportunities for all. This participation offers something for everyone, from entry level paddlers to World Championship Tour competitors. With the world's very best in town, stay tuned for dynamic exhibition components built into the program that will showcase the latest and greatest in the world of water sports. Movie premieres, live music and entertainment and food vendors will complete the festival, providing a well rounded weekend of fun, participation and entertainment for all the family.
Age Group and Open Racing
Whether you are an avid enthusiast wanting to push your limits in the 9km long distance race, more comfortable taking on a mid distance race (6km) or stepping into a shorter 3km race, there are multiple options on offer at the London SUP Open to get on the water and take part. There is even a 200m course for those wanting an all out sprint for kicks. With an entry level 1km race, and over 150 demo boards available to get people on the water and in action, the London SUP Open provides a truly inclusive participatory experience right at the heart of the City.
Nisco One Design
City Paddle Festivals is proud to incorporate a Nisco One design race into the weekend's activities to further build the all inclusive and participatory nature of the London SUP Open. As the most popular one design class in the UK, this addition to the program will celebrate a well established format amidst a full weekend of SUP action in the heart of the City. The Nisco component of the 2018 London SUP Open will take place on Saturday July 7th, allowing for participants to also take part in more racing and fun on the Sunday as well. For more information on the Nisco Racing and the complete schedule of events please go to www.londonsupopen.com or directly to: Nisco London 2018
APP World Tour to make its London debut for an unforgettable weekend of action & participation. | Photo Courtesy: APP World Tour
This year, team racing divisions are being integrated into the London SUP Open with both Dragon Racing and Funboard (large multi-person) formats. Building on the fun competition approach of the City Paddle Festivals, the London SUP Open will feature 2 team events during the weekend of racing:
- An Official stop for the Red Paddle Co's Dragon Racing: Dragon Racing boards are available and registration for this division is open online at www.londonsupopen.com
- In keeping with the spirit of entertainment of the London SUP Open, we have also integrated an open multi-person craft race (large inflatable boards for 4 - 6 people). Again boards are available and registration open online at www.londonsupopen.com
Festival & Entertainment
The London SUP Open will be a true festival, with Food, Drinks and entertainment coupled with industry vendors and live music providing something for everyone, even if you are not participating. There will also be morning Yoga and Evening Pilates Clinics providing an entirely unique experience at the heart of one of the World's most iconic Cities.
APP World Tour Stop #1
Pro Tour Competition
The London SUP Open will be the first stop on the 2018 APP World Championship Tour that will welcome the World's very best Stand Up Paddlers to London to kick off their 2018 season. Watch out for the likes of Michael Booth (Australia), Casper Steinfath (Denmark), Mo Freitas (Hawaii), Kai Lenny (Hawaii), Danny Ching (USA), Travis Grant (Australia), Slater Trout (USA), Arthur Arutkin (FR) and many more in the men, while some of the major names for the women include Candice Appleby (USA), Shae Foudy (USA), Manca Notar (Slovenia) and Chloe Walkerdene (Australia).
Meanwhile watch out for UK wildcards such as Marie Buchanan and Ryan James who will be looking to take it to the World's best on their home turf. The APP World Tour Pro division will feature the Top 24 Men and Top 8 Women from the 2017 Ranking who will be joined by 8 Men & 8 Women Wildcards who will step up to take on the best of the best.
The London SUP Open will also have a Pro-Am division for aspiring Pros wanting to break into the big leagues and competitive enthusiasts looking for a challenge, following the same format as the Pros and providing a fun and exciting competitive experience for avid enthusiasts.
For more information and for registration please go to www.appworldtour.com
Photo Courtesy: APP World Tour
Day 1 (Saturday 7th July)
- Amateur Sprint Racing (Men & Women)
- Youth Sprint Racing (Boys & Girls U16 / U13 / U10)
- Pro-Am Sprint Racing (Men & Women)
- Pro Sprint Racing (Men & Women)
- Team Racing (Dragon Racing & open Multi person craft)
- Parent & Child Relays (No Gender divisions: Open)
- Iconic Pro Race from Battersea to Houses of Parliament (broadcast live at event site - Men & Women)
- Nico One Design Racing (exact schedule to follow)
- Youth Clinic (No Gender divisions: Open)
Day 2 (Sunday 8th July)
- Entry Level 1km Distance Race (Men & Women)
- Youth 3km Distance Race (Boys & Girls)
- Amateur 10km Race (Men & Women)
- Amateur 6km Race (Men & Women)
- Amateur 3km Race (Men & Women)
- Pro-Am 10km Race (Men & Women)
- Pro 10km Race (Men & Women)
- Team Racing (Multi person craft) – (No Gender divisions: Open)
- Dragon Racing (one design, open entry)
Find event times and the full schedule HERE.
About City Paddle Festivals & Waterman League International
The Waterman League is an event management and media production with Offices in the Hawaii, the mainland US and Portugal, focused on developing multi-disciplined water sports. The term 'waterman' refers to versatile athletes who can engage in various forms of water sports at the highest level. As founders of the Professional World Championships for paddlesurfing (also known as stand-up paddling), the Waterman League has been crowning Men's and Women's Professional World Champions for both racing and surfing since 2010, with flagship events across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, now branded as the APP World Tour and complimented by its all inclusive City Paddle Festivals concept.
About the APP World Tour
The APP World Tour is recognized and sanctioned by the IOC Federation for Surfing Sports, the ISA (International Surfing Association), as the Official Professional World Championship Tour for the sport of Stand Up Paddling. The APP World Tour produces a complete inventory of programming, including live and post produced broadcasts from all its events, with distribution to over 100 countries worldwide via premier global networks such as CBS Sports and Fox Sports Australia. More Information is available at www.appworldtour.com and fans can follow events @appworldtour on Facebook & Instagram. For more information on the APP's City Paddle Festivals please visit www.citypaddlefestivals.com
For more SUP News, click HERE.
- 2nd Annual Panda Paddle Takes A Stand For The World's Waters & Animals
- Corinth Canal Sup Crossing 2019 – Save The Date
- SUP Event Set to Raise Thousands for Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentoring Program
- NY SUP Open Introduces New Divisions & All-Inclusive Event
- Paris Replaces Brazil As The APP World Tour Final For 2019