WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, North Carolina - Under sunny skies with mild temperatures in the mid-60's, over 150 competitors from eight states, the Virgin Islands and Canada participated in the 3rd Annual North Carolina Surf to Sound Challenge on Saturday, Nov. 16.
"Conditions are nice and warm, especially for a Canadian," said Larry Cain at Blockade Runner Beach Resort. "It's really fun for us to come down here and see this weather and be in shorts and bare feet again."
Facing a choppy start in the surf, northeasterly winds, and paddling against an outgoing tide through Masonboro inlet, Cain, Olympic Gold Medalist and member of Canada's Sports Hall of Fame, captured his third consecutive victory in Men's Elite competition.
Fellow Canadian Jessica Rando, picked up her first Elite championship in the Women's division.
Surprise entrant Dr. Bob Arnot, former medical and foreign correspondent for NBC Nightly News, Dateline NBC, and The Today Show placed third in his division. Arnot is host of the Dr. Danger reality TV series.
The North Carolina Surf to Sound Challenge is a Series Event sanctioned by the World Paddle Association. Races include the 6.5-mile elite ocean course, an intermediate 4-mile harbor loop in Banks Channel, prone division categories in both races, and a free Kid's Race for ages 12 and younger.
NC Surf to Sound Challenge Winners
Top 5 Men Elite Division
1. Larry Cain, Ontario, Canada
2. Michael Tavares, Apex, NC
3. Billy Miller, Manteo, NC
4. Jeremy Whitted, Daniel Island, SC
5. Chris Stringer, Ontario, Canada
Top 5 Women Elite Division
1. Jessica Rando, Ontario, Canada
2. April Zilg, Wilmington, NC
3. Kim Reilly, Osterville, MA
4. Kate Lewis, New Bern, NC
5. Anna Blackburn, Wilmington, NC
Top 5 Men Harbor Island Loop
1. Emerson Smith, Annapolis, MD
2. Neil Macindoe, Annapolis, MD
3. Corey Taylor, Charleston, SC
4. Jeff Cook, Edgewater, MD
5. Ed Pierce, Wilmington, NC
Top 5 Women Harbor Island Loop
1. Miriam Sutton, Beaufort, NC
2. Danielle Goldston, Charleston, SC
3. Chandler Bold, Mount Pleasant, SC
4. Elisa Stokes, Virginia Beach, VA
5. Vicky Lowe, Avon, NC
Top 3 Male Kid's Race
1. Cole Weber, Wrightsville Beach, NC
2. Evan Lew, Wilmington, NC
3. Ian Stokes, Virginia Beach, VA
Top 3 Female Kid's Race
1. Saylor Emmart, Wilmington, NC
2. Jenna Blackburn, Wilmington, NC
3. Taylor Ward, Wilmington, NC
Complete results are available on www.GameOnNC.com.