NEWPORT BEACH, California - Standup for the Cure’s Sixth Annual fundraising event and one of the largest paddle competitions in the world, is scheduled for Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 9am at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California. More than 1,000 participants support the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen, a breast cancer research and treatment non-profit. Every $125 dollars raised can potentially save a life by enabling women in need access to a mammogram.
“The growth and popularity of our Standup for the Cure events have surpassed our wildest dreams,” says Dan Van Dyck, National Event Director. “SUFTC is unique in that we make a measurable difference in the breast cancer community while promoting the active, healthy lifestyle of the paddling community.”
Within five years, these events have triggered a huge following. With thousands of participants and multiple major sponsors at three sites around the country, Standup for the Cure is becoming a nationwide phenomenon. What started as an idea during a stand up paddle session on Maui 5 years ago has become one of the most successful events in the burgeoning Paddleboard community. The organization has also built a reputation as one of the most effective fundraisers for breast cancer awareness in any sporting event, rapidly expanding into a series of highly regarded events in both the Paddle and Breast Cancer worlds.
To date, Standup for the Cure has raised more than $870,000 for early breast cancer detection, research, treatment, education and helped over 800 participants obtain life-saving screening for breast cancer on site at the events.
“Our Mission is to Have Fun while saving lives” says Founder Judie Vivian, 5 year Breast Cancer Survivor and Founder of Standup for the Cure
- STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CLINIC taught by world-class Standup for the Cure ambassadors including Zane Schweitzer and Joanne Hamilton-Vale
- FREE CANCER SCREENING: Screenings for Breast Cancer and Melanoma will be offered during the event thanks to Presenting Partner Kaiser Permanente
- SILENT AUCTION: Numerous Standup Paddleboards, Paddles, bikes and gear. (More items listed on website)
- MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT
- YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The clinic will be led by Standup for the Cure Ambassador and Breast Cancer Survivor Suzanne Yeo
- FOOD AND DRINK: Newport Rib Company will provide lunch; Happy hour with live music will be presented by Kona Brewing Company and Barefoot Winery
- NEW ACTIVITIES: The 2017 agenda include a Kid’s Race and a Surprise Format Pro Race and the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo with advice on best treatment path
- PARKING: Newport Dunes; $6 per vehicle (All day)
About Standup for the Cure
(SUFTC) is a 501(c)(3) Non-profit whose mission is to raise money and awareness for early breast cancer detection, research, treatment and education through the active, healthy lifestyle of Standup Paddling nationwide. Founded in 2011, Standup for the Cure is fully supported by generous donations from their partners and global community. To date, more than $870,000 has been raised for early breast cancer awareness, research, treatment, education and helped hundreds of underprivileged or uninsured women obtain life-saving treatment for their disease.
For participation and ‘”Stand Up” charitable contributions please visit us here.